Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What it is

This morning I got to take my granddaughter to kindergarten.  Twenty-eight years ago I took her daddy to the same classroom.  I had no idea that it would upset me it did, once I was out  in the car and headed home.  How can time have passed so quickly and how can it all have ended up this way?  I understand the time thing..as we get older we all notice how quickly time passes don't we?   

The past two days I've kept myself busy getting organized for fall and winter.  There are still issues concerning Michael's estate needing to be tidied up.  Going through paperwork I found nine pages of emails he wrote me 17 days before he left us.  One page is poetry.  It's beautiful, sad, scared.  It broke my heart again.  I told my husband about it when he got home and he said I should throw all that out.  Never.  I will never throw away those precious last words from my son. 

Once before in my life, years ago, my mother convinced me  that the only way to recover from grief was to put that part of life behind oneself, so I burned 18 years of my life, pictures, letters, school year books, all in her fireplace.  It didn't work.  Well of course it didn't you're probably thinking but back then I was willing to try anything.  Since then I've come to realize that all our life's experiences go into making us the people we are and although I'm not quite a subscriber to "all things happen for a reason", I am one to "it is what it is". 

Today is visiting day with our granddaughter and this will get me through the day.  I've probably said before that she is the only reason we stay living where we do.  There will come a day when we won't need to be here, but for now we feel she has lost enough and so have we.  Today is Happy UnBirthday day..cupcakes, candles and a game of Cold Cold Hot to find her little gift.  For her, it's all about icing the cupcakes and putting in the candles.  Everything else is just...fun. 

Today too, the time came to start to repaint the bedroom my son lived in for the last three months of his life: the Winnie-the-Pooh room (old  nursery).   He came to live with us to feel "safe" while he continued to look for a new home and a place to live.  Perhaps it kept him alive for a bit longer, perhaps it drove him to the end.  Even though his closet remains untouched I am going to change everything about the room.  Oddly this isn't turning out to be the big deal I thought it was going to be.  Scraping off the old wallpaper this morning was therapeutic.

So, that's about it for today.  Mikey's candle is about to be re-lit.  This is the time of day when I start to feel like I've been punched in the abdomen...the pain is very physical...and this is the time of day when I either give up and let the waves come, medicate, or practice breathing knowing I just have to do it for six hours.

It is what it is. 

3 comments:

Knock knock - it's cancer! said...

I don't know the best way to deal with grief. In fact, I think the same person deals with grief in different ways at different times of their life.

I agree about not throwing emails/words/poets/anything away that was Michael's writing to you. I think that although reading it causes sadness and hurt, it also brings joy in a way. It's tangible and it's from him to you.

So, hold on to it.

I hope you find peace in your day today Andrea :)

Hugs,

Michelle

joeyship said...

My son's best friend took his life a few days ago. He was like one of my own, and I am devastated. My son was the last person to be with him. I am stunned at my inability to stop crying. I have been trying to find things on the internet that might help me cope and might give me insight about how I can help my son through this. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. It helps to know that there are others out there that have experienced this tragedy and have moved on....

Unknown said...

Hi Joeyship
I am so very very sorry to hear of the loss of your son's friend. When a friend of Michael's committed suicide seven years ago we all cried and grieved for a long time. It hits so close to home. Are you afraid for your son? Is there suicide survivor support group near you? You and your son are both survivors and although I haven't found a support group I do know they are supposed to be very helpful. Did you see the list of books I had found helpful? If not let me send some again...I hope you find some peace in the days to come. Thank you for your comment.