Tuesday, April 26, 2011

14 months plus

I had one minute of insight into Michael's suicide today and I can remember it to re-tell it but the moment has passed and the questions have started again.  This is how it went:

I had wanted to have a memory quilt made for Michael's daughter and I wanted something in his handwriting to her to photo copy.  The only thing she has is his suicide letter to her and I asked her mother if it would be alright to photocopy a line of it to put in the quilt and in going through papers to file Michael's income tax I found it.   The line reads "I will love you always and forever.  Love, Daddy" and then the date he wrote the later.  That date was 15 days before he killed himself and I realized that when my granddaughter is older she may ask why Daddy wrote a letter two weeks before he committed suicide.

I believe Michael had decided to take himself away from this earth, from his suffering, from the demons in his life unless one thing in his life changed and I believe he held out hope for that one thing until the late afternoon he died.  I think something must happen inside a person's soul when that time comes because he made phone calls but certainly to those he knew would stop him he didn't let on it would be his last phone call.  I do know he did let one person know what he was going to do and that person did nothing.  He made that phone call about ten minutes before he hung himself.  How I wish that person had called the police, the ambulance, us.....anyone...or said..."just wait five minutes, I will come over"...the phone call from Michael might have been one last call for help, or it may not have.  It may have been a "please take care of my family" call, I really don't know because I can never ask.  The pain would be too great.  I do know what triggered his decision that day, that hour, that minute and there is no blame to be attached to that.  But I wonder why the person he spoke to, the person he told he was going to kill himself, the person who knew he was unstable, didn't call anyone. If he had had another half hour I would have been home.  I can't stop these thoughts.  They drive me crazy, they give me nightmares.  they keep me broken.

I know this kind of thinking is common to suicide survivors.  Maybe the specifics vary a little but the unanswerable questions, by their nature, will never stop.  It was fourteen months yesterday that Michael ended his life.  Our pain is as great as it was the night he died.  I still wait for the phone to ring and every now and then I send an email to his account(s).  Please don't misunderstand me.  I am NOT looking for peace.  I am NOT looking for happiness.  I am looking for my son..I want him back. I will miss him with every fibre of my heart and soul until I join him.  But I will NEVER ever turn my back or ignore anyone asking for help.  In memory of my beautiful son who never turned his back on someone in need I will try.  Trying is better than not trying...I know I am rambling but my thinking is all over the place this afternoon. 

Will talk again soon.

3 comments:

Knock knock - it's cancer! said...

I think the quilt idea sounds great. It will be very special to her.

How old is she now anyway? Too young to understand?

I haven't been able to read any of your posts without tearing up, and today is no exception.

Sadly, I think I would be in the exact place that you are, I can't think of anything that can take the pain of losing a child away,

Hugs,

michelle

Conquering Cancer By Living Well said...

Hi there - I can't even remember how I came across your blog, but I go back to it time and time again, to see how you are doing. I don't know you, I can't even begin to know what you might be going through, but I do care, and wish you peace.

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle. Our granddaughter is 4..she only knows her Daddy is in heaven. She will learn more when her mommy decides it is time but our role is to make sure she knows how very much her Daddy loved her.

No, there is not way to take away the pain of losing a child, regardless of the circumstances.

I'm sending love and prayers your way hon. I think of you every day. xx


Hello Conquering Cancer..and thank you for your comment and wishes for peace. This is an awful journey but it is the one we've been given to travel. I am thankful for the love and support we receive and hope that my ramblings may help someone else on a day they feel they just can't cope. xx